Wrong Word Wednesday #42

Every week I will demonstrate an example of poor English where a different word is used from the one intended. Sometimes this creates a grammatically incorrect sentence. Unfortunately, the mistake is usually so pervasive that we all do it and such errors are usually made by those who should know better – journalists working for national or global media outlets such as newspapers and television.

Crevasse / Crevice

It hit me this afternoon when I was writing a paid article today: what is the difference and is there one? Indeed there is! Both are nouns describing roughly the same thing but the major difference is where they appear.

A crevasse  is a long, deep crack in an ice sheet often descending for considerable depth


A crevice is a split or a fissure in rock, a narrow opening. It needn’t be very long or deep and it can be in a wall


Have something to say? Go on, you know you want to:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.